Sunday, February 22, 2009

Show #3 February 21, 2009



For the few, the proud, the Maureens


Maureen- Fountains Of Wayne Out-Of-State Plates
T.V. Sound- DM3 Dig it the Most
Heart Of Stone-SVT Heart Of Stone 45
Black and White- The dB's Stands for deciBels
There She Goes Again- The Velvet Underground The Velvet Underground and Nico
Leaving Your World Behind- 20/20 20/20
One Way Love- The Innocents One Way Love 7"
When You're Mine- The Heats Have An Idea
The Bulrushes- The Bongos The Bulrushes 7"*Jump Boys- The Undertones The Undertones
*I Never Came Down- The Golden Horde I Never Came Down 12"
*Crimson- Rudi Big Time: The Best of Rudi
*War Stories- The Starjets God Bless The Starjets
When You're Young- The Atlantics When You're Young 45
Caught In Traffic- Sgt Arms Walking On The Roof 7"
On The Beach- The Producers On The Beach 45

*Theme Set: The Emerald Isle


Fountains of Wayne
Fountains of Wayne are a great example of a current band that shares the ALL KINDSA GIRLS aesthetic. In fact I'd bet FoW have more songs with a girl's name in the title than any other band today- and for this I am thankful. Finally got around to burning my vinyl copy of 20/20's first album and they were a great addition tonight.  Unlike punk rock, Power Pop does not shy away from slower tempos, so I always try to include a slow dance each show and tonight it was "Leaving Your World Behind."




So, why did I do my Ireland theme set in February and not just wait a few weeks to be closer to St. Paddy's Day? Damned if I know. In any case, it blows me away that three of the four bands I played tonight--Undertones (Derry), Rudi, Starjets (both Belfast)-- were making this upbeat, fun music in Northern Ireland during the mid to late 70's, a time of bombings,
Terri Hooley
hunger strikes and general civil unrest. In fact, Terri Hooley's Good Vibrations label is in the ALL KINDSA GIRLS Hall of Fame for putting out some of my favorite records. The CD compilation pictured above is a great sampling of what the label had to offer despite all the violence and chaos going on in Belfast at the time. Seriously- it would be like finding out Fountains of Wayne are from Darfur or the Gaza Strip. Make Power Pop, not WAR!


Click the link below to stream this show, or to download right click and "Save Link As:"
ALL KINDSA GIRLS #3


No comments:

Post a Comment