Saturday, February 14, 2009

Show #2 January 31, 2009



Dedicated to all Lori's, Laurie's and Lorrie's everywhere!

Lori- Travoltas Endless Summer
In The Winter- The Fastbacks ...And His Orchestra
Get Your Radio- The Secrets Titan: It's All Pop! (Disc 1)
The Weakest Shade Of Blue- Pernice Brothers Yours, Mine & Ours
The Kids Just Wanna Dance- Fast Cars Kids Just Wanna Dance 7"
The Night I Lost My Head- Maximo Park A Certain Trigger
Make The Rules- The Orbits Make The Rules 45
Sixteen Blue- The Replacements Let It Be [Deluxe Edition]
No Respect- Newtown Neurotics Newtown Neurotics Punk Collection
*Hanging On The Telephone- The Nerves The Nerves E.P. 7"
*Hush, Hush- The Plimsouls The Plimsouls... Plus
*Rock N Roll Girl- The Beat The Beat
*Good Times- Jack Lee Jack Lee's Greatest Hits Vol. 1
See Me In My Dreams- Silver Sun Dad's Weird Dream
Tonight- Raspberries Side 3
Dream Girl- The Power Chords Unattached Strings 45
Fizz Pop(Modern Rock)- The Continentals Fizz Pop(Modern Rock) 7"

*Theme Set: The Nerves' Legacy


When I got back from the station after this show my wife and daughter met me at the door with stern expressions on their faces, both asking "who's Lori?" I had to explain to them that one of the "rules" of ALL KINDSA GIRLS is that each show is dedicated to a woman or girl, in general or specific.  I'm still looking for the perfect "Jaime" song for my wife and for my daughter a better "Veronica" option than Elvis Costello's (alzheimer's disease) or Sloppy Seconds' (teen suicide).


Anyway, good show tonight- played Raspberries, The Replacements and new San Diego band The Powerchords, which is a great example of Power Pop's longevity. Also featured The Nerves- a band of Power Pop Giants. Bass player Peter Case went on to form The Plimsouls, drummer Paul Collins gave us The Beat aka Paul Collins' Beat and Jack Lee wrote hit songs for Blondie and Paul Young in the 80's.


Bomp! label Alive Records just released a Nerves retrospective called One Way Ticket that includes all their studio stuff and some dodgy sounding live tracks. It's a great introduction to this legendary band.  

Tastemaker that he was, Ted Maguire introduced me to The Nerves EP. (I wonder if he still has the refund check from Devo- made out to Mr. Spanx Fanjet- I like to think it is framed on his mantel alongside baby pictures of his kids).
ALL KINDSA GIRLS #2


No comments:

Post a Comment