Thursday, November 22, 2018

Show #167 September 8, 2018

  
No "maybes" about it... tonight's show is dedicated to Maybelline!

Maybelline- Babyshambles Sequel To The Prequel
Dark Black Makeup- Radkey Dark Black Makeup 
Blameless- Nick Piunti Temporary High 
In Another Life- The Well Wishers A View From Above 
Have Faith- Sloan 12 
*Lipstick- Advertising Advertising Jingles 
*Lipstick- Rocket From The Crypt Lipstick 
*Lipstick- Buzzcocks Love Bites 
^Crush With Eyeliner- R.E.M. Crush With Eyeliner
*Eyeliner- Klik American Girls 
*Red Eyeliner- P. Hux Purgatory Falls 
Loving You Baby- Lisa Mychols Sugar 
So Cool- Death By Unga Bunga So Far So Good So Cool 
Lady Frankenstein- Matthew Sweet Tomorrow's Daughter 
*Little Mascara- The Replacements Tim 
*Mascara Tears- Richard Thompson Mirror Blue 
*Run Mascara Run- The Rubinoos 45 
Sometime to Return- Soul Asylum Live from Liberty Lunch, Austin, TX, 12/3/92
Brighter Side- The Revelons The Revelons: '77-'82 
Thirteen (Live)- Big Star Live At Lafayette's Music Room-Memphis, TN 
>Make Up- Lou Reed Transformer 
*Make Up- Marvelous 3 Math And Other Problems 
*Make Up- Delta 5 Singles and Sessions 1979-1981 
At All- Linus Of Hollywood Cabin Life 
My Negative Friend- David Myhr Lucky Day 
*Wig In A Box- Hedwig And The Angry Inch Soundtrack
*Flip Your Wig- Wayne County and The Backstreet Boys Max's Kansas City 1976 and Beyond 
*I Dig Your Wig- Ben Vaughn Mood Swings 
Under The Makeup A-Ha Under The Makeup 

^Power Pop Peak:  #20 Billboard Modern Rock Tracks 8/15/95

*SacroSet[s]:  Makeup Songs

>Power Pop Prototype:  1972

Werewolves of Sonoma and their Ladies

Alice

Aside from Halloween I've never had much use for makeup.  I appreciate its use in rock and roll, from Alice Cooper and Kiss to Dave Vanian of the Damned and Monkey of The Adicts (pictured above) but it is never anything I could pull off myself.  So, most of my experiences with makeup have been assessing its application when asked to do so by the women in my life.  I am not up to this task.  For nearly 25 years my wife Jaime has been asking me "do I have makeup streaks?" 
Dave
Early on I realized the correct answer is "no" but to this day I have no idea what "makeup streaks" look like.  I just image searched "makeup streaks" on Google and it didn't have any examples so I guess I will just keep answering "no" for the rest of my life.


Needless to say, evaluating a woman's skill with makeup is fraught.  Are you supposed to notice the makeup or not?  If you praise the makeup too much are you saying they are not naturally beautiful?  If you say you don't care for the makeup are you saying they are ugly?  I once dated a fair skinned blonde woman who for the first six months of our relationship wore perfectly applied eyeliner 24/7.  The first time I saw her without eyeliner I asked if she wasn't feeling well- that did not go over so great.  Apparently I'm not the first man to make this grave mistake.


It makes me appreciate those scenes in movies where women sneak out of bed at 2am to take off their makeup and apply their night face creams, only to sneak out of bed again at dawn to reapply everything and look "perfect" for their man in the morning.  What a lot of work!  Never mind the sleep deprivation.


When my son Jack was in the 8th Grade I chaperoned a class field trip to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland and we stayed in the dorms of Southern Oregon University.  The first day there we needed to be up at 8am.  At 6am there was a commotion in the hall and when I investigated I found all the girls in the class tromping to the bathroom to do their morning beauty ritual.  Most of the boys rolled out of bed at 7:45, many not bothering to change clothes from the day before.  The funny thing is that even with all the prep time, the girls emerged from their dorm rooms 20 minutes late, their stunning hair and makeup somewhat muted by their outfits, the standard "girl uniform" of the day:  jeans, hoodies and Ugg boots.  

In any case this prepared me for the major role makeup would play in my daughter's life.  The four years she was in high school the amount of time she spent applying makeup in the bathroom was inversely proportional to the amount of available counter space in our upstairs
bathroom.  Man does it look complicated!  She is a lovely girl, but I know better than to get between her and her makeup.  That said, it made me realize something:  women don't wear makeup for men in allegiance to the patriarchy or for other women to bolster the sisterhood.  The women who wear makeup do so because they want to and unless we have something complementary to say about it, we should probably keep our thoughts to ourselves.

Below is one of the first Inside Amy Schumer videos I saw and it is perfect for this post- if you haven't seen it you are in for a treat!



How perfect is that! 

When I was a kid I loved Milton Berle's makeup gag from the 50's, and reprised here on The Muppet Show

I'd sneak up on my sister Sarah, yell "makeup" and slam her in the face with a pillow.  Good times!


Click the link below to stream this show or to download, right click and "Save Link As:" 
ALL KINDSA GIRLS #167


No comments:

Post a Comment