Sunday, August 5, 2012

Show #82 July 7, 2012


Dedicated to Steve...  and to Angeline!

Angeline- Pointed Sticks Part Of The Noise
It Must Be Summer- Fountains Of Wayne Utopia Parkway
Someday's Gonna Come- The Reducers Cruise To Nowhere
She's A Heartbreaker- Radio City Class of '77
Gaygirls Dance- Remod Life Of The Party
Icy Tracks- David Myhr Soundshine
Blow Me Away- The Fingers On The Radio
Never Again- This Perfect Day Don't Smile
^Summertime Girls- Y and T Summertime Girls 7"
For Free- The Tearaways Ground's the Limit
What Should I Do?- Durango 95 Lose Control
World To Cry- The dB's Falling off The Sky
Mallo Cup- The Lemonheads Lick
Midnight- The Revillos Attack of the Giant Revillos
*Constructive Summer- The Hold Steady Stay Positive
*Summer Job- Art Brut Art Brut Vs. Satan
*Dorchester Summer- Future Dads 24 Winship
*Summer Holiday and Me- The Jessica Fletchers Less Sophistication
*Endless Summer- Travoltas Endless Summer
*Hot Summer- The Lonely Boys The Lonely Boys
*It's Summertime, Baby- The Cute Lepers Can't Stand Modern Music
*Summertime Fun- Nikki and The Corvettes Nikki and The Corvettes
Going Nowhere Fast- Joey Ramone ...Ya Know?
Run To The Cities- High Rise Run To The Cities
Now- The Plimsouls The Plimsouls... Plus
>The Door Into Summer- The Monkees Listen To The Band
Right Time- The Crowd A World Apart
Untitled- The Saints Eternally Yours
Met Your Match- Brendan Benson What Kind Of World
Ten Fingers- The Pursuit Of Happiness I'm An Adult Now EP
The Summer Rain- Shoes Shoe's Best
Hawaii Five-0- The Ventures Hawaii 5-0

^Power Pop Peak:   #55 Billboard Hot 100 7/13/85

*SacroSet:  Summer Songs

>Power Pop Prototype:  1967

Tonight's show is a lot like life- some sadness but mostly greatness.  Yet the cool thing about life, and this show, is that the greatness makes the sadness easier to take and the sadness makes the greatness seem even greater.  I was very sad to read about the passing of Reducers' bassist Steve Kaika earlier this month.  As I've mentioned in previous posts, during the early 80's I interviewed The Reducers a few times when I was working at WERS and the band even came to Boston once to play on my show "Metrowave."  Singer/guitarists Peter and Hugh did most of the talking in the interviews, but Steve was always happy to contribute as well.  The thing is, from an aesthetic standpoint I had big problems with Steve when I first started going to Reducers shows.  While Peter and Hugh sported the band's signature pocket-T/Levi's/Chuck Taylors look,  Steve had what I considered a far less appealing "old rock and roll dude" style:  pointy toe boots/flares/sleeveless shirt and feathered long blonde hair.  Furthermore, his bass playing beyond reproach, Steve’s singing on the first album came dangerously close to the dreaded "fake British accent."   By the band's third album Cruise To Nowhere though, my opinion of him had changed.  Steve sported the same boots, flares and hair but I'd grown to love his singing, especially on tonight's selection "Someday's Gonna Come:" 

You can see him standing there
Another young kid on the subway stairs
You gotta wonder why they even try
He's just arrived and he's so bold
He's gonna reach his hand out and grab a hold
Of the world that's spinning by

He say’s “someday’s gonna come for me,
just you wait and see,
someday’s surely gonna come for me”

The weeks turn into months
And then the months turn into years
It’s funny now things don’t look the same
But he’s still waiting for his chance
He’s gonna dig in and toughen up his stance
He knows you gotta stick to your guns

He say’s “someday’s gonna come for me,
just you wait and see,
someday’s surely gonna come for me”

You can see him standing there
An older man with a wistful stare
He wonders what went wrong with his schemes
He’s toed the line and played the game
But all his dreams were shot down in flames
It’s not as easy as it seems

He say’s “someday’s gonna come for me,
just you wait and see,
someday’s surely gonna come for me
someday’s surely gonna come for me
He say’s someday’s surely gonna come for me”

The compassion in Steve’s voice gets me every time, I really can’t imagine snide Peter or gruff Hugh singing the song as well.  Cruise to Nowhere also shows Steve in fine form on “Jackpot Fever” and “Boys Will Be Boys,” the latter another of the band's anti-cop songs (how bad can the police in New London, CT be?).  One of the great things about The Reducers is that every album is a revelation.  Peter is my favorite singer on the first LP (“Out Of Step,” “Better Homes and Gardens,” “All About You”), on Let’s Go it’s Hugh (“Bums I Used To Know,” “Your Mother,” Maximum Depression”), Steve on Cruise To Nowhere and on the later albums drummer Tom even steps up to the mic.  The Reducers have been together for over 30 years and I can’t imagine the group without Steve Kaika- he will be missed.

Now onto the great news…   New music is traditionally not a big part of ALL KINDSA GIRLS.  First, there is so much of it these days it would be a full time job keeping track of it all.  (The great Ed Slota is the only person I know who is up to this herculean task.)  Second, maybe it’s my age, but a lot of the new stuff I hear these days doesn’t do it for me.  For every great band I discover like The Wellingtons, I have to sift through 50 indie rock groups who care more about social networking than making great records.  Music critics are no help as they throw the word “pop” around so much it has lost all meaning.  Frankly, it all makes me tired, so I’d rather just put on a Plimsouls or Big Star record and save myself the trouble.  That said, there is nothing like hearing a great new record for the first time and on this week’s show I have FOUR of them:
  • David Myhr, a member of 90’s Swedish power pop giants The Merrymakers, has released his solo debut Soundshine and it is awesome!  The guy has forgotten more than most of us will ever know about crafting brilliant pop hooks and melodies.  Already a solid “Best of 2012” contender;
  •  The dB’s are back!  Holder, Holsapple, Rigby and Stamey- the four guys that made the iconic Stands For Decibels and Repercussion albums are back with Falling Off The Sky and it is a very fun record.  Chris Stamey’s “Before We Were Born” stands among their best songs; 
  •  …Ya Know? compiles a grab bag of Joey Ramone recordings from the last years of his life.  It is so good to hear his voice again;
 
  • Brendan Benson has released another glorious power pop album What Kind Of World.  This guy deserves serious radio play- hopefully he’ll get it this time.

An embarrassment of riches!  I’ll be able to say “new music on ALL KINDSA GIRLS” a lot in the coming week’s- hopefully you’ll join me.

Download this week’s show here (Right click and “Save Link As”):
ALL KINDSA GIRLS #82

No comments:

Post a Comment