Saturday, May 8, 2010

Show #32 May 8, 2010



For Leslie and All Kindsa Guys!



Leslie- Robert Johnson Close Personal Friend
We Got Something- Tinted Windows Tinted Windows
Get Over You- The Undertones The Undertones
Anything For My Baby- Kiss Dressed to Kill
Our Whole Lives- The Hold Steady Heaven is Whenever
To Be A King- Any Trouble Wheels In Motion
20th Century Boy- T-Rex The Very Best Of T-Rex
Useless- Denzil Pub
^Joey Concrete Blonde Bloodletting
To The Bone- The Sunnyboys The Sunnyboys
This Modern Love- Bloc Party Silent Alarm
It Hurts- The Zippers A Six Song Mini Album
On My Own- The Three O'Clock Sixteen Tambourines
Always Comes Back- SVT Extended Play
*Frederick- The Patti Smith Group Wave
*Terry- Farrah Moustache
*Denis- Blondie The Complete Picture
*Jerome- Ruth Ruth The Little Death
Modern Kicks- The Exploding Hearts Guitar Romantic
I Don't Want To Live Without You- Tom Dickie & The Desires The Eleventh Hour
Coast To Coast- Ducks Deluxe Glitterbest
Have An Idea- The Heats Have An Idea
Catch Me- The Jetz Catch Me 7"
No Thugs In Our House- XTC Fossil Fuel The XTC Singles 1977-92
>Louie, Louie- The Kingsmen Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era
Weekend Love- The Hollywood Stars The Hollywood Stars
Obsession- The Last Fade To Black
Sight & Sound- Chris Von Sneidern Sight & Sound
Red and Grey- Neats 1981-84 The Ace of Hearts Years
We Can Get Together- The Hold Steady Heaven is Whenever

^Power Pop Peak: #19 Billboard Hot 100 8/18/90

*SacroSet: All Kindsa Guys

>Power Pop Prototype: 1963

I'm always on the lookout for songs for All Kindsa Girls' weekly features, so I've been collecting "guy" songs for a while now. The funny thing is, I had already picked Robert Johnson's "Leslie" as this show's dedication and only just now realized that it's a guy's name as well (the actors Leslie Nielsen and Leslie Howard, guitar player Leslie West, etc.) There's no doubt that Robert Johnson is singing about a girl, but I think it's still kind of a cool coincidence.

For the All Kindsa Guys theme, I went with the same "rule" as the girl dedication song for each show- the title must be limited to a male name. I realize I cheated a little bit on "Louie Louie" tonight, since it repeats the name, but how could I not play that record, it's one of the greatest guy songs of all time. The Kingsmen recorded "Louie Louie" in one take; the whole session was only an hour and that included recording the b-side. I especially love how singer Jack Ely comes in early after the guitar solo and they left this mistake in the final mix. Since the slurred lyrics were largely unintelligible, the powers that be decided they must be obscene and the record was banned on many radio stations and in the state of Indiana. The FBI even investigated- how awesome is that!

My daughter Veronica joined me in the studio when I recorded this week's show and that's her you hear helping me sign-off with a "Goodnight Leslie." As we were finishing up in production, Ken Brown was in the main studio doing "Que Pasa Sonoma" with his co-host, who happens to be named Leslie. Now, Leslie is very pretty and her attractiveness is amplified by its contrast to her surroundings. I don't know if you've ever spent much time in sweaty college/public/community radio stations but I can vouch for the fact that they are generally staffed by a bunch of dudes who look like they just came from a comic book convention, though we are a little less likely to wear sci-fi costumes. I pointed Leslie out to my wife Jaime at a Tuesday Night Market a while back and Jaime said "oh yeah, she's hot" while elbowing me in the ribs.

Anyway, before Nica and I left the station that day I stuck my head in the air studio and made a point of telling Leslie that my show this week was dedicated to "Leslie." We joked around a bit and talked about some of the groups I was going to play. Was I flirting? Maybe, but I've been married a long time so I'm really out of practice and no doubt pretty bad at it. In any case, I must have had that big "I just made a pretty girl laugh" smile on my face because when I turned around to leave, Nica has this really funny look on her face. I didn't think anything of it, but as Jaime and I were getting ready for bed that night I mentioned the "Leslie"/Leslie thing and she says "yes, Nica told me ALL about it as soon as you got home." My eleven year old narced on my lame 45-year old married guy flirting! I know- it's pretty funny and I really like the whole "don't mess with the sisterhood" aspect. My little girl is growing up.

You can download Hour 1 of tonight's show here (Right Click and "Save Target As"):http://sunfmtv.com/fm/showarchive/public/2010-05-08__20_59_57.mp3



No comments:

Post a Comment