Sunday, June 28, 2009

Show #12 June 27, 2009





No, thank YOU Valeri....


Valeri- The Monkees The Birds, the Bees & the Monkees
All Used Up- Sloan A Sides Win Singles 1992-2005
You're Tearin' Me Apart- Teenage Head Teenage Head
Out On The Streets- Speedometors Day In The Lights
I Need A Torch- Suicide Commandos Make A Record
All I Have- Mike Viola & The Candy Butchers Falling Into Place
The Man Who Invented Himself- Robyn Hitchcock The Man Who Invented Himself 45
I Am The Cosmos- Chris Bell I Am The Cosmos
^Love On The Phone- Suzanne Fellini Suzanne Fellini
Chemical Fire- Van Duren Are You Serious?
Don't Mind- Cheese She Said 7''
A Perfect Pop Song- Hundred Million Martians Martian Arts
Remember Me- The Heats Have An Idea
Time- Richard Hell and The Voidoids That's All I Know (Right Now) 7''
*Here Comes the Summer- The Undertones The Undertones
*When I Go To The Beach- The Slickee Boys When I Go To The Beach 45
*The Summer Sun- Chris Stamey DIY Come Out And Play: American Power Pop (1975-78)
*I Wanna Be A Lifeguard- Blotto Hello! My Name Is Blotto What's Yours
Remember The Lightning- 20/20 20/20
Right Way Home- Xdreamysts Right Way Home 45
My Favorite Revolution- Eugene Edwards My Favorite Revolution
>Sugar Baby Love- The Rubettes Very Best of The Rubettes
American Guilt- Fools Face Tell America
Time- The Speedies Speedy Delivery
What Do I Get?- Buzzcocks DIY The Modern World: UK Punk II (1977-78)
Rock & Roll- The Velvet Underground Loaded
Sunday Gurl- Silver Sun Dad's Weird Dream
Got The Time- The Descendents Enjoy!
I'm Tired- MnMs I'm Tired 7"
Any Danger Love- The Starjets God Bless The Starjets
Kamikaze- The Boys To Hell With The Boys
I Won't Go Back To Work- The Explosives Come Clean EP
Baby I'm So Lonely- The Yum Yums Sweet As Candy

^Power Pop Peak: #87 Billboard Hot 100 3/15/80

*SacroSet: Summer Is Here!

>Power Pop Prototype: 1974

When I was a kid my family would spend nearly every summer car camping. This all started before my sister Sarah was even born. When my mother said she wanted her children to visit Europe, my father's response was "let's not go to Europe until we see the United States first." Using Green Stamps to buy a Coleman lantern and stove, they then scrimped to buy the display model of what will I will always think of as the "Taj Mahal of tents" from a Stoughton camping store.

My father was a school teacher who became an elementary school vice-principal. He checked his ambitions there though, because a promotion to school principal would have slashed his summer vacation from six weeks to two and how far can you get from Massachusetts in a measley two weeks? One of the things I loved about camping was how much thought my Dad put into packing. Every pack and piece of gear had its place. Every inch of space in and on top of the car was utilized- he even put chalk outlines in the trunk to show where everything goes. When Sarah and I were old enough to help, we could get an entire campsite set up in about 30 minutes- that's everything, including the boiling water for spaghetti, our traditional first night in camp meal.

Over the years, we visited 46 states (missing only OR, WA, HI & AK) and 8 provinces (all but British Columbia and Newfoundland). While in western Alberta, we did step over the border into British Columbia, but my father said this "didn't count" since we didn't spend the night there. When we did stop, it was always for at least two nights in every campground so we actually got to see where we were. What's more, there was enough flex in the schedule so we could add an extra night if we happened to love where we were. I remember:

  • playing cowboys and indians with a bunch of kids in Arizona and afterward my mom telling me that every "cowboy" was an American Indian, while all the "indians," like me in my awesome headress, were white...

  • watching a movie screened "drive-in style" on a canyon wall in South Dakota's Badlands National Park...

  • seeing wild horses on the beach at Assateague Island and, from the relative safety of the car, watching a hurricane destroy our camp site that same evening...

  • riding duck boats in Wisconsin Dells, which I thought was the coolest place on earth...

  • Sarah and I begging our parents to go to Jellystone Park and on our first night there she got so caught up in a near-riot of 50+ kids "helping" Ranger Smith chase Yogi Bear that she ran head-on into a post giving herself a bloody nose and two black eyes...

  • holding hands with a girl at a campground in Alabama while in the background Robin Zander serenades thousands of screaming Japanese rock fans with "I Want You To Want Me..."

I can only hope my kids will have childhood memories HALF so rich. My father never got to Europe, but we did the United States and Canada up right!

So I had to tape this week's show because Jack, Nica and I were camping at Sugarloaf Ridge State Park this weekend with a group from First Congregational Church (Jaime had to work and camping is not her thing). It was pretty hot but we were right beside the creek and Nica found a small hollow where the water was a little over three feet deep, so everybody got a chance to take a dip. Campfires both nights were really fun and we were visited by several deer and a VERY noisy fox that Nica thought sounded like Kevin the bird from Up! No hurricane, duck boats or dude in a bear costume running for his very life but all in all, we had a great time.

Since summer is officially here, tonight's SacroSet features some of my favorite summer songs. While it's a year-round passion, Power Pop, like barbecue, baseball and bikinis, goes best with Summer. Here's hoping All Kindsa Girls can help provide some of the soundtrack to YOUR summer!

Click this link (or Right Click and "Save Target As") to listen to/download Hour 1 of tonight's show: http://thmm.com/ksvy/showarchive/public/2009-06-27__20_59_57.mp3
and here is Hour 2: http://thmm.com/ksvy/showarchive/public/2009-06-27__21_59_56.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment